Monday, February 16, 2009

Death

From the blog of Pastor Joey Bonifacio:

In the winter of 1987 Marie and I attended a serv
ice while visiting Washington DC. The pastor's name was Mark Caulk. That Sunday morning I heard a message that today 21 years later is as fresh as the day I heard it. It was message on death.

Long before the idea of One Life To Live, Mark made the point that has stuck with me and has impacted my life decisions in so many ways. His message was about the deathbed.

Mark explained that one day when we find ourselves in our deathbeds we will realize that very few people will be there.

While our business associates, friends, colleagues and neighbors may pay a visit at best they will be token expressions of concern. But the only people who will be around that deathbed 24 hours a day seven days a week will be our spouses and children. The picture of the deathbed moment never left me.

Over the years I have added to the picture. I imagined the moment when I'm fighting for every breath. I wanted my wife and children to be certain that they were the real priority of my life. That when we look into each others eyes there will be no hint of doubt that they were the love of my life. Snce then till today the picture has served me well.


Eventually I would add a final thought to the picture. That when I finally die, not even the eyes of my wife and children will be there. The only eyes that will be looking into mine will be that of my Savior Jesus Christ. And the saddest day of my life will be when I realize that he was not the priority of my life.

Just as man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment, so Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many people; and he will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for him. Hebrews 9:27-28

Thank you Mark
Caulk for that message. Today 21 years after it is as fresh as the day you preached it. Not only has it helped me see things from an eternal perspective, it has helped me realize how important my role as a pastor is.

Site: http://joeybonifacio.multiply.com/journal

No comments:

Post a Comment